Offset Toilet Flange – A Fix For 10/14 Inch Rough-in Toilets
A toilet flange is a piece of pipe fitting that connects the toilet to the drainpipe and also anchors it firmly on the floor. Toilet flanges are also called closet flanges and are either made of PVC or cast iron.
An offset toilet flange is a type of flange that is used to install standard toilets on a drainpipe with a non-standard rough-in. The offset toilet flange can be installed in different orientations, depending on whether you want the toilet to be closer or further from the wall.
Offset toilet flanges gives you an opportunity to shift your toilet in any direction by about 2 inches. Apart from back and forward adjustments, an offset closet flange will also enable you to shift your toilet sideways. This is especially the case if the plumbing was not well done, or if you want to move the toilet away from a certain fixture.
The rough-in is the distance between the rear wall of the toilet and the center of the drainpipe. You could also measure the distance from the wall to one of the toilet bolts if the toilet is already installed. The standard rough-in of a toilet is 12 inches but some toilets especially in old houses have a 10 or 14-inch rough-in.
If you have an old toilet with a non-standard rough-in that you need to replace with a modern toilet, there are 4 ways you could go about:
Offset Toilet Flange vs Other Methods
When you have a toilet with a non-standard rough-in, you will have installations options. Which one is the best? Let us look at how all of them compare with the offset toilet flanges.
- Replace it with a new toilet of the same rough-in. The problem with these toilets is that they are way more expensive than the standard toilets and are not readily available in all home improvement stores. This is where the offset toilet flange comes in.
- Install a toilet rough-in adapter. Toilet rough-in adapters are mostly used by Toto toilets to replace toilets with a non-standard rough-in with those with a standard rough-in. The problem with this method is that it is that the adapters are only compatible with a few toilet models.
- Replace a 14-inch rough-in toilet with a 12-inch rough-in toilet. You can definitely replace a toilet with a rough-in of 14 inches with one with a rough of 12 inches. The problem with this method is that a 2-inch gap will be left between the toilet tank and the wall.
- Install an offset toilet flange. This is the best method for installing toilets with non-standard rough-ins. It is inexpensive and can be used to install all toilet models.
Toto Makes 2 toilet models that are supposed to address the issue of non-standard rough-in. These are the Toto Vespin II and Toto Carlyle II.
While both of them are 12-inch rough-in toilets, they are skirted and hence give you the option of installing the Toto unifit adapter. This adapter can convert a 12-inch toilet into either a 10 or 14-inch toilet.
Toto Carlyle II is the skirted version of the Toto Ultramax II while Toto Vespin II is the skirted version of Toto Drake II. I have written a complete guide comparing both of these toilets. If you would like to read it check it out here.
How to Install an Offset Toilet Flange
Before buying an offset flange, you will first need to determine the size of your toilet’s drainpipe. The standard drainpipe size is 3 inches but some are 4 inches in diameter.
Apart from an offset closet flange, you will also need to buy a wax ring and toilet mounting bolts. Installing an offset toilet flange is not very different from installing a standard toilet flange. This are the steps to follow while installing the offset flange:
- Turn off water and drain the old toilet tank and bowl
- Remove the old toilet
- Remove and trash the old wax ring
- Remove the old toilet flange
- Install the offset toilet flange
- Fix the wax ring
- Install the toilet
- Reconnect water supply.
In case you would like a detailed guide, here is how to replace a toilet flange.
Best Offset Toilet Flanges
The following 2 offset toilet flange are very reliable so if you are looking to install one you wouldn’t go wrong with any one of them.
1. SIOUX 889-GPOM
- Material: Plastic
- Fits Pipe Size: 4 inches
- Stainless steel ring
2. Oatey 43500 Level-Fit Offset Toilet Flange
- ABS material
- Metal ring
- Installs inside a 4-inch pipe or over a 3-inch pipe